[gst-devel] GST_DISABLE_REGISTRY

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 17:35:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

  Disabling the registry... IS going to remove the registry features :)

  It's kind of like... wanting to reduce the fuel consumption of your
car, then removing the engine... and then complaining your car doesn't
work as well.

  If you want to speed up the initialization, configure gstreamer to
use the binary registry which is way faster than the default xml
registry.

     Edward

On 7/27/07, ved kpl <ved.kpl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using gstreamer v0.10.11.
> I am trying to reduce  the time taken by gst_init()
> I am going thru the code of gst_init and have found out that
> in init_post() (called within gst_init()) the ensure_current_registry()
> consumes around 85% of the time taken by gst_init().
>
> The code is like this:
>
> #ifndef GST_DISABLE_REGISTRY
>   if (!ensure_current_registry (error))
>     return FALSE;
> #endif
>
> I rebulit the gstreamer core with GST_DISABLE_REGISTRY.
> After that, when I do gst_inspect,  only 2 plugins are shown.
> and also the test app that wrote comprising of filesrc and filesink
> failed too, showing that filesrc, filesink not found.
>
> I tried the same with 0.10.13 too, but same results.
> Could anyone please some light on this and tell
> whether i am doing the right approach.
>
> regds

Edward Hervey
Multimedia editing developer