[gst-devel] Google Summer of Code

Andoni Morales Alastruey ylatuya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:45:40 CEST 2008

El mié, 02-04-2008 a las 19:23 +0200, Sebastian Dröge escribió:
> On Mi, 2008-04-02 at 18:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 18:42 +0200, Andoni Morales Alastruey wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'd like to participate on the GSOC developing a multilingual
> > > embeddable multimedia player to give GTK multimedia application's
> > > developpers an easy solution on multimedia player support.
> > >
> > > The idea is to create a GtkWidget with an embedded gstreamer multimedia
> > > player, based on the code of Totem, with bindings for the more commons
> > > used languages to avoid programmers leading with the gstreamer code.
> > > When requiring the use of a multimedia player on an program, the
> > > developer must deal with the gstreamer libraries, this way he will just
> > > have to deal with the GtkWidget embedding the player(e.g. the IGSTPlayer
> > > interface).
> >
> > I've already mentioned to Sebastian that this would be a bad idea. The
> > current widget never got API review, the APIs are very ad-hoc and some
> > still based on what xine-lib can do, rather than what a GTK+-ish API
> > should do.
>
> Right, and you convinced me :)
>
> What we need is a widget that is not based on totem's ;) We need
> something with a sane and clean API... which still has to be defined.
>
> If you want to work on that, great, we really need something like
> that :) But I don't think one can design a good API for that without
> having much experience with GStreamer and GTK.

Hi!

I've just read your mail and bastien's one. Probably I wasn't clear
enough wen I talked about using the totem's code. In fact I was talking
about  using only the "bacon-video.widget-gst-0.10.c" code. It creates a
pipeline with full media support, visualisation support, missing plugins
handling support, subtitles support.
Last year when I start my project to create a set of tools to viewing,
recording and analysis of audio-visual information, particulary related
to sports, I faced the problem of finding a GTK multimedia player
controlable through the code (not like embedding Totem or mplayer, witch
is controlable only though the UI). I had to implement mi own player,
and i had to deal with the gstreamer API witch was very difficult at the
beginning. This new project will avoid this to developers that only want
a gstreamer multimedia player in their aplications without worrying of
anything else.
As I told you I have already done a good job on Linux. I can send the
code and some examples to show his actual state.
If you approve it, please tell how can I apply to GSOC because I don't
now very well how.
Regards, Andoni Morales