[gst-devel] gstreamer freebox multiroom

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Sat Apr 12 17:22:08 CEST 2008

<quote who="Julien Isorce">

>    Hi,
>
>    Ok I did what you recommended: add a videoscale between ffmpegcolorspace
>    and ximagesink.
>    I did not get error this time, but the pipeline was blocked I think. So as
>    usual, I thought the problem was about synchronisation.
>    I tried several possibilities and I finally found one that works:
>
>    gst-launch-0.10 rtspsrc
>    location="rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/freeboxtv/201" ! rtpmp2tdepay !
>    flutsdemux name=d d. ! mpeg2dec ! queue ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale !
>    ximagesink d. ! mad ! queue ! alsasink
>
>    So thx for the idea of "videoscale".
>    Do you know why this element is needed ?

It's needed to match the pixel aspect ratio of the video (usually non-square
pixels) to the display device (usually a computer monitor with square
pixels). Using xvimagesink allows scaling in the X server and then
videoscale usually isn't needed. It never does any harm to include it
regardless - it will negotiate to passthrough and do no work if possible.

J.