[gst-devel] TI OMAP DSP support

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Thu Jan 17 08:57:34 CET 2008

hi,

Quoting g <the_ether2 at yahoo.co.uk>:
> --- Josep Torra Valles <j.torra at telefonica.net> wrote:
>> First I think that you should get more knowledge
>> about the N8x0
>> architecture and the OMAP SoC in order to be able to
>> understand the
>> scenario for your project.
>
> My "project" is simply to decode MPEG video. As stated
> previously the core elements I intend to use are
> already available as plug-ins to GStreamer.
>
> My questions have been whether GStreamer already has
> implemented any DSP acceleration and if not, what the
> performance hit of their absence is compared to the
> potential stated by TI.

GStreamer itself does not implement any for of hardware specific acceleration.
A few elements use liboil which helps to benefit from usinf vector
operations of CPUs (MMX, SSE2, ...)

If you want to benefit from a DSP, you have to rewrite the codecs
using DSP nstructions. You cannot just recompile it for a DSP and you
cannot just runs some parts easily on a DSP. So nothing Gstreamer can
do here. You have to get codec implementations for the DSP in question
by yourself. Thats why using a DSP is so difficult and often projects
decide to better use the CPU and invest in good compilers.

Stefan