[gst-devel] GPP + DSPs

David Bourgoyne dbourgoyne at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 6 01:02:43 CEST 2008

Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 7:27 PM, David Bourgoyne
> <dbourgoyne at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Felipe Contreras wrote:

>>> Well, that's the answer isn't it?
>>>
>>> gst-openmax is a good example of how to communicate with an
>>> asynchronous subsystem (dsp), in this case through the OpenMAX IL API.
>>>

>> Maybe you could elaborate.  Let's take the case of the OMAP.    I have a
>> main GStreamer application running on a GPP.   On the OMAP device I have
>> gst-openmax running on the ARM and the actual codec running on the DSP
>> abstracted by OpenMax.
>>
>> My question is how do I connect the GStreamer pipeline on the GPP to the
>> GStreamer pipeline on the ARM seamlessly.  Control and bitstreams will
>> have to be transfered over PCI, and video perphaps over PCI or Video ports.
>>
>> Has there been thought in the GStreamer community how to bridge this
>> heterogeneous design, or is this something I have to invent.
>>

> This is a little bit confusing. ARM is a GPP, maybe by GPP you meant
> an x86 machine? If that's the case then you want to connect an ARM
> processor to an x86 one?

Yes, think of it as a Master x86 GPP with several OMAP (ARM+DSP) devices
all connected via PCI.  The v4l source may be on the x86 and an encoder
on the OMAP device.  I have to create a GStreamer pipeline on the x86
and hook it to a OMAP pipeline and then back to an x86 pipeline to send
the compressed bitstream over ethernet.

David