[gst-devel] GIT test repositories

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:34:18 CEST 2008

Hi all,

  Long time without any git updates, sincere apologies about that. There
was some confusion/delays between Tim and myself regarding the
conversion :(

  I've finally done a test conversion of all main modules from the state
they were in 2 days ago. You can find them here under my personal
repository section (~bilboed/<modulename>):
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/

  These repositories include the full history contained in cvs (first
commit is January 2000 by omega).

  I did a few fixups during the conversion, namely:

* Using common as a git submodule
  git submodules are the natural way to share a module between several
others. The problem was that we want to keep the coherence between
checkouts of the parent module and common, so that if you check out a
revision of core from a year ago, you will end up with the revision of
common which was used at that time.
  All converted git modules have therefore been re-parsed to contain
those updates and the initial .gitmodules file that contains the link to
which submodule to check out and where (currently pointing to where I
stored the common repository).
  > git checkout <acommit>
  > git submodule update
   # you will end up with common being in the state it was when
   # <acommit> was done.

 * Renaming .cvsignore to .gitignore
  Those special files have been renamed throughout the whole history of
the modules. So you should end up with the same behaviour

 * Attributing authorship to patch authors
  GIT makes a difference between the person who committed a patch and
the author of that patch.
  I parsed all the commit messages to extract (as much as I could) the
author of the patches to set that properly.
  Example here :
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~bilboed/common/commit/?id=80627bb8053f6a10f28015e834778b098fc9c391

  So at this point... we need testing ! Check out the modules, compile
them, check out various revisions, report issues, etc...

  Final word of caution : hopefully these repositories will not require
any fixups, but DO NOT ASSUME that these will be the final official
repositories. If we have to do some more fixups, it will change the hash
of the revisions and the work/branches you based on these repositories
will be lost (not quite lost, but it'll be painful to rebase your work
against the new repositories).

  To sum up:

  *** do not use these repositories for production use yet ! ***

  ... but please test them all the same :)

     Edward