[gst-devel] video/x-raw-yuv, format=(fourcc)HDYC

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 18:40:17 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 18:21 +0200, Julien Isorce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (I send this mail again, because gmail was waitting etc... so I am not
> sure it was sent)

  You're too impatient :)

> Any plan to support HDYC format in gstreamer ?

   If you have elements that support that format... you can already do
it now. After all, it's just a matter of creating a caps (like
"video/x-raw-yuv,format=(fourcc)HDYC").

   The *real* problem is having elements that can convert (properly)
from that colourspace/layout to other ones (like the ones used by video
sinks or encoders).

   I don't know if anybody's planning that, but that wouldn't be the
only issue with colourspaces in GStreamer (Anyone heard of chroma
placement in subsampled video ?).

   It all comes down to having:
   * A proper definition of colourspaces in raw video caps
   * An element that *properly* does that conversion taking into account
the correct conversion coefficients/clamping and chroma placement. Oh,
and preferably with readable code (unlike ffmpegcolorspace).

     Patches welcome :)

       Edward