[gst-devel] Question about DVD playback, Inputs, IPTV

Jens Schneider pupeider at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 13:29:18 CEST 2009

Hi Jan,

thanks for the quick feedback. :)
My comments see below.

Regards
Jens

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:50:27 +0100
> Von: Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>
> An: Discussion of the development of GStreamer <gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Betreff: Re: [gst-devel] Question about DVD playback, Inputs, IPTV

> On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 08:14 +0200, Jens Schneider wrote:
>
> > Then i saw, that the DVD menu is not shown. I have installed the plugin
> >  dvdnav from ugly. This works generally, but i saw no menu overlays (no
> >  selection). Then i found out that the usage of the resindvd plugin is
> >  suggested. I have installed it, but no changing.
>
> You need a recent gst-plugins-bad to get the resinDVD plugin, and
> gst-plugins-base 0.10.22 to get a version of playbin that knows how to
> handle the DVD subpicture display in order to get the menus working.

Okay, i will check this. I think i have the latest version.
If i use the xvimagesink i see the DVD menu and i can click on an item. That is working. But i cannot see the highlighted, focused item.

> > So my question is, what will be suggested?
> > And what is the status about full DVD support?
> >
> > Furthermore our application gets the inputs (mouse, keyboard, touch
> screem)
> >  from the system. So we know all about the user inputs and would like to
> put
> > it in the gstreamer pipe (or something like that). So the dvdnav or the
> > resindvd plugin can process the inputs.
>
> Mouse and keyboard events are propagated using the GstNavigation
> interface, which is implemented by xvimagesink and ximagesink, for
> example. If you really need to implement the blitting yourself, then
> you'll need to also generate the GstNavigation events yourself and send
> them up the pipeline from your fakesink/appsink video endpoint.
>
> You should probably look at the xvimagesink source code for how to
> generate those events.

Thanks, i will do it.

> > Another question is, that the resindvd resides in the bad plugins
> package.
> > What does "bad" means?
>
> Read the blurb text that's in every set of gst-plugins-bad release
> notes:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/releases/gst-plugins-bad/0.10.11.html
>
> > Is it not recommended to use it?
> > I found no documentation about dvdnav and resindvd.
> > Is it in progress? How can i get the available properties of it?
>
> resindvd replaces and obsoletes dvdnavsrc. There's no documentation
> written yet though. There will be before resinDVD moves to
> gst-plugins-ugly, which will be its eventual home when its good enough
> (it's nearly there).

Okay.

> > Next i will try gstreamer and IPTV.
> > Which plugins (or which pipe) i have to use?
> > Can i work with playbin?
>
> No idea, sorry.

The xine engine has no problems with that. And i think that should not a big problem for gstreamer. Mmmm...

> > After this i plan to check the TI Davinci support.
> > Can you please give me a link or a recommendation for that?
>
> No idea there either. I've been wanting to get my hands on some DaVinci
> hardware for a while so I could learn, but so far no luck.

Okay, thanks anyway.