[gst-devel] Anyway to simulate performance of streaming pipeline under varying network condition?

Tristan Matthews tristan at sat.qc.ca
Tue Nov 17 05:52:52 CET 2009

I'm not sure about varying bandwidth, but for testing variable network
condition, you can use netem:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Netem
We have some info about it on this wiki page:
http://svn.sat.qc.ca/trac/miville/wiki/NetEm

Here's an example script to simulate 5ms delay and 0.1ms of jitter:
http://svn.sat.qc.ca/trac/miville/browser/inhouse/prototypes/gstreamer/cpp/videotest/badnet
and a script to restore clean network conditions:
http://svn.sat.qc.ca/trac/miville/browser/inhouse/prototypes/gstreamer/cpp/videotest/cleannet
Just replace eth0 with the name of the interface you want to test.

You have to run them as root, i.e.:
sudo sh badnet
sudo sh cleannet

Hope this helps,