[gst-devel] Odd replay issue...

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Aug 11 23:15:27 CEST 2010

Am 10.08.2010 19:58, schrieb Nathanael D. Noblet:
> Hello,
>
>    I have written a GTK based app, it has been fun using and learning
> gstreamer. I've gotten most everything working well and the way I need,
> however I've noticed a bit of an issue I can't seem to figure out. My
> app has two separate pipelines, one for viewing a source (and recording
> it), and a second to replay recorded files. Everything is pretty much
> working well.
>
>    Here's the problem, I start up my application, and start the
> recording viewer, at which point it is basically src->xvimagesink. Then
> when I click record and it adds a bin to a tee src and starts recording.
>
>    When I go to review it by loading the file in the other viewer
> pipeline I have some odd behaviour. Suppose I watched the recording
> pipeline for 5 minutes before clicking the record button. When I go to
> review that recording, the timeoverlay on display starts the clock at
> 00:05:00 instead of 00:00:00. I don't get it. If I use gst-launch
> filesrc="file.mpg" !timeoverlay !xvimagesink it starts at 00:00:00... so
> why is my separate pipline showing a timestamp at the point of recording?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

It is a nasty problem. The stream time of the pipeline is 00:05:00 when you
start recording and in some file-formats (e.g. iso mp4) that is preserved.

camerabin 'solves' that problem by tracking the non-recording phases in the
piepline and rewriting the timestamps on buffers then go to the recording
branch. People have been sugesting to use the a newsegment event instead, but I
haven't verified the idea.

Stefan