[gst-devel] What is the purpose of gst audioconvert plugin

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Wed Dec 29 14:44:17 CET 2010

Sean,

This is a wonderful explanation; one that need to be moved to some featured
place on the wiki or, better, a new doc on the website where all of the
elements can get equal treatment.

So, Sean, Wim, et. al, what is the method to undertake such a task.  Though
I know better than to ever volunteer, I volunteer to collect the
explanations and turn them into some sort of document (good excuse to learn
LaTEX?).

I'll begin here with a request to all published element authors to write a
similar explanation and perhaps add any extra bits you think useful.  One I
would consider helpful is an explanation of why your element is -bad or
-ugly -- especially if it's a licensing issue.

Details about the properties would be helpful too.  I still have no clue
what half the encoding/compression  parms do with mpeg.

Another idea, in cases where the element is otherwise LGPL but it uses, say,
some licensed video encoding, whether someone licensed to use that
technology can use your element as if it were LGPL.  I hear a lot of "ask
your lawyer" responses coming.

Happy New Year,

Wes