[gst-devel] Need Advice!!!

Anirudh anirudhtomer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 14:40:13 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

( I am not asking anyone to make the project for me  but I am asking to show
me the right path )

CONTEXT: I am a bachelor's student and I am working on a project where I
have to transcode a multimedia stream coming from a server on my machine, as
well as stream it again on the fly to another machine.

Server ----------------> My machine       -------------------------------->
client machine
         actual stream     (transcode on the fly)   stream transcoded

I can't store the incoming stream on my machine because the client is
waiting for it so I have to transcode it on the fly.(live streaming)

For SIMPLICITY I am assuming the i/p stream is in ".mp3" format (only audio)
and output stream is "vorbis". I am supposed to write the transcoder on my
own & not use existing ones.

WHAT I DONE TILL NOW: Its the first time I have heard of GStreamer and I am
going through the manuals for application developer and understanding the
basics and the manuals are really good. I have gone through almost 50 pages.

MY PROBLEM: I want to know how should I proceed with it. So my source would
be URL (coz as I said my i/p would be coming from a streaming server) and
sink would be a URL again (if u think I am wrong please correct me here).
How should I move on. right now I'll be trying to play a stream from
localhost using a small code and see how it works and then I'll jump onto
making some complex pipeline structure to solve my problem.

Thanks for reading my post!!!. I'll be really thankful if someone can give
an advice to me on what approach should I follow. What should be my Learning
Flow ?

thanks in advance for the help.