[gst-devel] media file with data corruption

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:19:41 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 23:54 -0700, cristiurban wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to make a gstreamer application that detects corrupted files(for
> example a mp3 file). I don't have so much experience, if anyone can tell me
> where to look or investigate to make my program work!
> I guess , I'm not sure, but does it have something to do with filters?

  We don't have a (unified) way for plugins (like demuxers, decoders,
parsers) to report stream corruption. Most of those are only emitted via
logging warnings and plugins will do their best to recover from them. If
the file is *really* corrupt (i.e. unrecoverable playback error), then
an ERROR will be posted on the bus.

  You could of course modify the mp3parse element to detect such
corruptions and report them some way or another (like via messages on
the bus). You'd need knowledge about the format though, and I'm not 100%
certain there's a checksum system that would allow you to detect whether
the stream is really corrupted or not.

   Edward