[gst-devel] media file with data corruption

Gruenke, Matt mgruenke at Tycoint.com
Fri Oct 15 21:16:41 CEST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Hervey [mailto:bilboed at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 04:20
To: Discussion of the development of GStreamer
Subject: Re: [gst-devel] media file with data corruption

<snip/>

>   We don't have a (unified) way for plugins (like demuxers,
> decoders, parsers) to report stream corruption. Most of those
> are only emitted via logging warnings and plugins will do their
> best to recover from them. If the file is *really* corrupt (i.e.
> unrecoverable playback error), then an ERROR will be posted on
> the bus.

We might propose mechanisms for indicating corrupt & incomplete frames.
Buffer flags are an obvious solution for incomplete frames (probably
need more than one flag, since frame might be missing beginning and/or
end).  They could also work for corrupt frames, although I can sort of
see some cases where sending an in-band event would be a better fit.

<snip/>

Matt