dvbbasebin questions

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 17:13:40 PDT 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:40:39 +0100
Alberto Milla <amilla at vicomtech.org> wrote:

> I'm afraid that I can't give you a good answer, because my experience
> with gstreamer and DVB-T are quite short. Then be careful.
>
> When you say "dvbsrc does all the low-level parsing itself". I
> disagree IMHO, the EIT parsing is done in mpegtsparse

Yes, I think I was wrong about that, it makes more sense that
mpegtsparse would do this.

> If you look at "mpegts_parse_handle_psi" function, there classifies
> the type of table that has arrived. If Freeview is not DVB-T compliant
> I think that is there where you will have to modify the code. In the
> case of Freesat I can't give you any answer because I have only worked
> with the terrestrial standard.

I checked Freeview today. mpegtsparse does parse its LCN descriptors
:-). I don't know about Freesat yet, I'll check that shortly.

> Continuing with the program recording and the EPG data extraction. In
> France for example, they send all the channels' schedule by all the
> multiplex, however in Spain the only send the schedule of the channels
> that form the multiplex at you are listen to. Reading you question It
> looks like the UK system is like the spanish. I think the solution is
> in the tuner, if you use a simple tuner you can't get two dvbsrc, but
> if you have a dual digital tuner it must be possible.

Both Freeview and Freesat send the entire schedule on each transponder.
However, I want to read EIT tables at the same time as streaming/
recoding video from the same tuner. As a dvbsrc's pids property is
write-only I can't read which pids a dvbbasebin has chosen and add the
EIT pids to it.  Maybe dvbbasebin adds EIT pids anyway, but that won't
work for Freesat due to its non-standard pids.

After thinking about it a bit deeper, I don't think it will be possible
to have two dvbsrc objects on the same tuner because a frontend only
allows one pseudo-file handle at a time.

So I probably won't be able to use dvbbasebin; I'll just have to parse
the PAT and PMT and select the video and audio pids for dvbsrc myself.