Rtsp server negative rates implementation

Muzzu Daniela Daniela.Muzzu at selexelsag.com
Tue Jun 19 05:55:40 PDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm still going on in implementing reverse playback from gst-rtsp server. After further investigation, one of the main issues I see is that DISCONT buffer flag set by matroska demuxer in the server (when demuxing chunks in reverse order) is lost in basertppayload before sending rtp content. What it happens in the client is that ffmpeg decoder queues all decoded chunks together since it cannot separate them by means of the discont flag, and flushes the queue only after receiving an end of stream event.

So the question is: how can I keep the discont flag information set by the server so that the client too can get it? I've seen that the flag is cleared when rtpmp4vpay calls gst_buffer_create_sub, but, even if I patch this, it's lost after pushing buffer into rtp adapter. When rtpmp4vpay retrieves pushed data from the adapter, flags are lost. How can I avoid this? Is there a more appropriate method to signal a discontinuity to the client?

Thanks,
Daniela