Unable to seek audio files with playbin2; manual seek also broken in plugins-good-0.10.31

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 01:06:42 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 21:51 -0400, Eric Montellese wrote:

Hi Eric,

> With playbin2 on my "target" machine (hardware requires use of the
> custom audio sink), playbin2 plugs in the aacparse element within the
> decodebin.  When the seek event traverses the pipeline, it is received
> by decodebin which appears to skip the aacparse element entirely.
>  Instead it goes through the typefind element and into the source,
> which then fails to perform the seek due to a failure in
> the GST_QUERY_CONVERT call (haven't dug into exactly why yet -- but
> appears to be a type mismatch?)
> This explains why the manual pipeline works, but the playbin2 pipeline
> doesn't... the critical element is being skipped with playbin2.
>
> So, the big question remaining is:  Why is the decodebin not sending
> the SEEK event to the aacparse element within it?

What you describe sounds quite normal to some extent. A parser, decoder
or demuxer would on receiving a seek event typically send it upstream
first, to see if there's another element that can handle it. In your
case that won't be the case, and the convert stuff is filesrc trying to
convert the TIME seek to a BYTE offset, which it can't. So far so much
as expected. So I think you have to look in the debug log what happens
after that. Just to confirm - your doing a seek in TIME format, right?

Cheers
 -Tim