Question about a custom decoder and caps renegotiation

dv dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sat Jun 30 02:16:51 PDT 2012

Hello,

I am writing a GStreamer plugin for a decoder. It already works fine,
but outputs 16 bit integer samples at the moment, even though it
supports many more formats.

My question is how to inform the decoder about the desired sample
format. My guess is that I should use upstream caps renegotation. Here
is an example of what I mean, using a capsfilter:

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=foo ! mydecoder ! "audio/x-raw-int,
width=(int)32, signed=(boolean)true" ! fakesink

Then, the decoder would be told to produce 32bit signed integer samples.

Am I correct with this idea? Unfortunately, this section of the docs is
incomplete:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/0.10.36/pwg/html/section-nego-upstream.html

"Unfortunately, not all details here have been worked out yet, so this
documentation is incomplete. FIXME."

but the information on it is useful regardless.