Help with transcoding h264 encoded TS on raspberry pi

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Dec 13 12:04:08 PST 2013

On Fr, 2013-12-13 at 20:40 +0100, Markus Fritsche wrote:
> On 12/13/2013 08:12 PM, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > Which caps are configured on videocrop here, and is videoconvert
> > converting between different video formats? Do you also get these
> > red/green problems if you don't encode after videocrop but display the
> > video directly? Does the pattern change somehow if you use different
> > cropping values, e.g. does it disappear if you only crop at the top or
> > bottom?
>
> videoconvert was just a safety measure - the pipeline also works fine
> without those.
>
> More samples:
> http://reauktion.de/cropbottomout.mkv 8 px cropped at the bottom
> http://reauktion.de/croptopout.mkv 8 px cropped at the top
> http://reauktion.de/cropb16out.mkv 16 px cropped, 8 each side
>
> The one with 16 px cropped looks fine. Hmm, was there a h264 rule that
> width and height have to be dividable by 16? Or maybe that's a hardware
> limitation (I do keep mentioning that my davinci based board doesn't
> like dimensions not being dividable by 32 px ;-))

Well, it's not a strict requirement and many codecs can handle other
widths/heights too :) But that might indeed be related here.

So, does it work if you don't encode the video and just display it?
I.e., is the problem on the decoding or the encoding side of things?

Maybe there's a configuration problem in gst-omx with the encoder or
decoder, maybe something with the stride but for that the visible
problems look wrong.

Expertise, Straight from the Source