multifilesrc & splitfilesrc difference

Paddy pat.blanchon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 03:43:05 PST 2013

Tim-Philipp Müller-2 wrote
> multifilesrc will output each file as one single buffer. This is
> sometimes used to feed multiple image files into a pipeline for
> examples. There's not really any support for things like seeking etc.
>
> splitfilesrc is basically like filesrc, only that you can pass multiple
> input files to it. It will pretend all of the input files are one giant
> file, so it's basically the same as doing
>
>   $ cat file1 file2 file3 > bigfile
>
> and then using filesrc location=bigfile ! ...

Cheers. I'd figured out the splitfilesrc this (just about) but was in the
dark about multifilesrc. You've cleared it up

Tim-Philipp Müller-2 wrote
>> I'm asking as I'm playing back matroska video files (each ~2mins in
>> length)
>> using a (0.10) pipeline that looks a bit like:
>> splitfilesrc->demux->decode->imagesink
>> however these files are not always contiguous - there may be a 3hr block
>> followed by a 3hr gap followed by another 3hr block. splitfilesrc sees
>> this
>> as one 6hr long file rather than 2 3hr files - I could put them in
>> different
>> directories but that would be cumbersome & much pain.
>
> I don't think this is going to work well with matroska files (if it
> does, it's by accident rather than design), since the demuxer basically
> needs to be aware that there are distinct files and needs to reset
> itself and process headers of the next file etc. etc. and that won't
> work. With streaming-formats like MPEG-{TS,PS} or Ogg this works
> differently.

You're right - it doesn't work (face-palm moment - I'd never thought to try
it but making a "big" file & playing it stops after the first EOS). Back to
the drawing board.

Tim-Philipp Müller-2 wrote
>> Could I use multifilesrc instead - it has start & stop indexes which
>> would
>> get over this issue. I'd try this but I'm stuck at
>> gst-plugins-good-0.10.30
>> on Fedora 16 atm trying to figure out how to get gst-plugins-good-0.10.31
>> (&
>> the multifile goodness it contains) on there without breaking everything.
>
> Not sure I understood what you are actually trying to achieve. You want
> to play 2 (or more) matroska files seamlessly in a row? Or play them in
> a row, but taking into account some internal timestamps?
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

I'm basically trying to play a contiguous set of files as if there were just
one file - so if there's a break then it appears as a separate file.

It's moot as it's looking like I'll have to use a filesrc & trap the EOS &
load the next file as quickly as possible so it appears seamless.

Thanks for your input,

Paddy