Problem with audio playback using pulsesink

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed May 22 14:53:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 02:08 -0700, piorossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am executing following command to playback MPEG-2 TS:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/SD_file2.ts ! tsdemux name=demuxer
> demuxer.! queue2 ! mpeg2dec ! queue2 ! videoconvert ! videoscale !
> autovideosink demuxer.! queue2 ! mpegaudioparse ! mad ! audioconvert !
> audioresample ! pulsesink
>
> ...and there is no audio. I think it can be related to following warning:
> 0:00:00.554914942 28648 0xaee01380 WARN                   pulse
> pulsesink.c:653:gst_pulsering_stream_overflow_cb:<pulsesink0> Got overflow
>
> What is more - when I add wavenc and wavparse before pulsesink - audio is
> played back and there is no overflow warning:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=~/shared/SD_file2.ts ! tsdemux name=demuxer
> demuxer.! queue2 ! mpeg2dec ! queue2 ! videoconvert ! videoscale !
> autovideosink demuxer.! queue2 ! mpegaudioparse ! mad ! audioconvert !
> audioresample ! wavenc ! wavparse ! pulsesink
>
> I tried to change audio formats and rates, but without success. I've even
> used filesink instread of pulsesink and compared outputs of these 2 commands
> byte by byte using cmp and files are identical.
>
> I am using newest gst-plugins.
>
> Is there something I am missing? Or something I am doing wrong?

That sounds quite odd. Could you make the file available somewhere so we
can try it ourselves?

Your pipeline looks like it should work at first glance (but make sure
to add a space before and after all exclamation marks).

if wavenc ! wavparse makes it work, that sounds like it's either a
problem with timestamping or with latency reporting.

Does it work in playbin with

 gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=file:///path/to/SD_file2.ts

?

Cheers
 -Tim