LTTng tracing

Ikaheimonen, JP jp_ikaheimonen at mentor.com
Tue Nov 19 01:22:39 PST 2013

Hello,

I would be interested in seeing LTTng UST tracing in the GStreamer code.
That is, I'd like it if there were some LTTng tracepoint events emitted in certain key places in the GStreamer code, and the resulting trace data could be used for gathering information about latencies, throughput, pipeline construction and other interesting things. I could compare the throughput over time against Linux kernel activities, for instance.

Using the tracepoints would require first building GStreamer with the proper options (to enable instrumentation) and then running the application within an LTTng tracing session to gather the data.

I can easily add the tracepoints myself and submit the relevant patches to the community. I would like to know, however, what is the general attitude towards this kind of tracing. What would be my chances of having such a patch set accepted and committed in the code?

Thanks,

JP Ikaheimonen | SW Development Engineer http://go.mentor.com/sourceryanalyzer
Mentor Embedded(tm) | Nucleus(r) | Linux(r) | Android(tm) | Services | UI | Multi-OS
Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Use of this trademark is subject to Google Permissions.
Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.