LTTng tracing

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Tue Nov 19 07:28:23 PST 2013

Le mardi 19 novembre 2013 à 09:22 +0000, Ikaheimonen, JP a écrit :
> I can easily add the tracepoints myself and submit the relevant
> patches to the community. I would like to know, however, what is the
> general attitude towards this kind of tracing. What would be my
> chances of having such a patch set accepted and committed in the code?

There must be different opinion around, so this is my personal opinion.
But I'm quite in favor of these trace points, but I'd like to see them
well integrated with the existing tracing system. It could have it's own
debug category, set of macros and implement different levels in order to
reuse the existing infrastructure and make it natural for developers to
contribute. I think it would be worth to share what kind of places you'd
like to set trace-points and what statistics you expect to get. Unlike
many project, GStreamer is a very flexible framework and it could be
difficult for outsiders to find the right places, if they exist
generically.

regards,
Nicolas

p.s. Detailed information about the tracing (as in text tracing)
utilities can be found here:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstInfo.html