Non deterministic CPU load for decoding on ARM

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Fri Aug 29 05:30:36 PDT 2014

Le 2014-08-29 03:45, Peter Maersk-Moller a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas.
>
> How is v4l2video10convert, v4l2video8dec and v4l2video8enc enabled
> when compiling GStreamer-1.5.0 (Git Master) on the ODROID-U2 platform?
Assuming all the kernel part is right, v4l2 plugin will enumerate
devices and figure-out base on the input/output format of each v4l2
nodes (by nodes I mean device nodes in /dev/video*, actually it uses
udev). The devices number (hence the element name) will vary depending
on your kernel. Odroid kernel forces decoder and encoder to be 8-9, and
the 4 converters (s5p-fimc) to be 10 to 12. Note that encoder is not yet
supported, work is in progress though. For encoder, the Odroid kernel
does not work from what have been reported to me. There is report of
people working on mainline kernel for these, which hopefully will help
in fixing the remaining issues.

> I just compiled it and it doesn't appear to be there.
Also, try to remove the registry file, see .cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry*

> And how do you set the videoconvert to use v4l2video10convert over
> traditional videoconvert or v4l2video8dec over another decoder when
> using decodebin?
In current deployment, we patch gst-plugins-base in order to change the
currently hard-coded converter in playbin from videoconvert to
v4l2video10convert. This is done by patching a make file macro called
COLORSPACE. In th long term, we want to add support for auto-pluging
converter in GStreamer, hence gain generic HW converter support (with
fallback to software when needed).

For the decoder, it is chosen over software decoder because the decoder
have a higher rank.

cheers,
Nicolas