overrun event notification from push source elements

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue Jul 22 05:33:33 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 15:59 +0530, Yogesh Tyagi wrote:

Hi,

> I am using udpsrc element to test udp streaming with my plugin. I was
> trying to implement overun handling/clock adjustment into my plugin.
> For this I register overrun events on demux's audio and video filters
> which notify overrun event whenever audio/video filter becomes full.
>

> But is seems that sometimes my demux filters is notifying the false
> overrun event. demux's video filter becomes full due to some other
> problem and it notifies the overrun event.

Could you tell us your entire pipeline and what you're trying to do, and
what problem you're trying to solve there? That would make it easier to
suggest something to try.

> Does udpsrc drops data if data is not consumed by the pipeline at the
> rate it is being received by udpsrc? I enabled debug logs for udpsrc
> but I got no message indicating buffer drop by udpsrc.

udpsrc does not *actively* drop data, but if udpsrc and/or the
downstream elements don't consume data fast enough, then the udp buffer
in the kernel will fill up, and data will be dropped (either because
packets won't be written into the buffer because there's no more space,
or older packets will be dropped to make space without having been read
out by udpsrc).

 Cheers
  -Tim