input selector issues

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat May 10 23:29:52 PDT 2014

On Do, 2014-05-08 at 17:09 +0000, Thomas Green wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> This has been quite involved.  At first I didn't have the selector's
> pads set to "always-ok".  That didn’t seem to change that much.  I
> changed the element from "imagefreeze" to just "freeze".  When it was
> "imagefreeze" I would see frames arrive and the input selector drop
> the frames from the inactive pad with the message that it was
> unlinked.  When I changed the active pad I no longer received the
> frames from the imagefreeze element, but continued to receive frames
> from the appsrc element, which were dropped with the message that the
> pad wasn't linked.  I would then change the active bad back, and
> wouldn't get any frames any further from either input sink.  When I
> changed to using just the "freeze" element, I no longer receive any
> frames from the freeze element.  But switching back and forth from the
> appsrc element works well.  It behaves the same way whether or not I
> have the "always-ok" property set.

The freeze element is known to be rather suboptimal for your use case.
Can you try to produce a minimal testcase for your problem to allow
others to reproduce and debug it? It's usually a good idea to isolate
such problems from the bigger picture and check if a minimal testcase
also breaks.

Switching between input-selector pads should not cause the upstream
elements of input-selector to stop producing data when you switch to
that specific stream. The only possibility how this can happen is if
there is a data flow error after the switch, that for whatever reason is
not reported as an error message on the bus (or you don't catch error
messages?), or some kind of deadlock (which should be visible from a
debugger).

Expertise, Straight from the Source