Installing and operating gstreamer on Windows 7

Dale Johnson djohnson at tplogic.com
Fri May 16 16:33:04 PDT 2014

The following advice is very helpful:

Use latest version which is available. Currently it is 1.2.4.1 which you can
download from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.2.4.1/

For basic introduction into gstreamer there are some nice tutorials.
http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735 But beware
that they are for version 0.10 which is now obsoleted and there are changes
in some API.

And I started out by installing 0.10 and successfully built the tutorials
and executed them; however when I download 1.2.41 and install it, it doesn't
seem to properly setup the Visual Studio environment.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22235825/building-hello-world-gstreamer-1
-2-3-application-in-visual-studio-2012 discusses a similar problem with
gstreamer version 1.2.3

Can anyone point to appropriate instructions to install the 1.2.4.1 SDK so
that Visual Studio 2010 will subsequently build the tutorials . aside from
the actual code changes discussed at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/docs/random/porting-to-
1.0.txt

Right now I'm getting the following link errors:

1>------ Build started: Project: basic-tutorial-1, Configuration: Debug
Win32 ------

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to
'/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_object_unref referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_element_get_bus referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_element_set_state referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_parse_launch referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _gst_init
referenced in function _main

1>basic-tutorial-1.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_gst_mini_object_unref referenced in function _gst_message_unref

1>C:\TPLCVS_INTERNAL\gstreamer_testing\tutorials\vs2010\Debug\basic-tutorial
-1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 7 unresolved externals

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

And then, separately, I have downloaded:

.        gst-libav-1.2.4.tar.xz

.        gst-plugins-bad-1.2.4.tar.xz

.        gst-plugins-base-1.2.4.tar.xz

.        gst-plugins-good-1.2.4.tar.xz

.        gst-plugins-ugly-1.2.4.tar.xz

.        gstreamer-1.2.4.tar.xz

Can someone point me to the recommended steps for building gstreamer using
these files on a Windows 7 32-bit machine.  Tools, everything?

Thank you,