Help with custom plugin Caps Negotiation

Subodh Chiwate subodh.austin at gmail.com
Mon May 19 04:15:11 PDT 2014

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the inputs. Was able to get past the caps negotiation by
referring to the pull mode caps negotiation  of gstbasesrc.c.
Due to multiple reference documents I jumbled up code and made rookie
mistakes.

Now I am facing some synchronization issues as my initial plugin is not
using any locks at all.
Will refer to the gstfilesrc.c and try to rewrite plugin by inheriting the
basesrc and then overriding the task function if that is possible.
Thanks.

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Bruce Tsai <wagamama.tsai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Subodh,
>
> You point out that the issue is between your plugin “myplugin” and element
> “typefind”, right? So I guess the caps of src-pad of “myplugin” is not
> recognised while doing caps negotiation. I will go through your FIVE FIXMEs.
>
> I think the query function of sink-pad is not related to this issue in
> your first FIXME. Second, I never use any proxy-caps in my filter and I
> would suggest you try not set proxy-caps before identifying the root cause.
> I rarely find any further information about proxy-caps and I am not
> familiar with that. The third FIXME is in query function of sink-pad that
> is not related to caps negotiation of src-pad.
>
> The most weird things are last two FIXME parts. I do not specifically deal
> with “GST_QUERY_CAPS” in query function of src-pad but let
> “gst_pad_query_default” do it for me. And I use “gst_pad_set_caps” to set
> caps of src-pad so “gst_pad_query_default” knows the cap information.
> However, your “get_pad_set_caps” for src-pad is invoked in event functions
> of sink-pad and src-pad. Set twice, why? Maybe you need to check if
> “get_pad_set_caps” is called before “GST_QUERY_CAPS” arriving your src-pad.
>

> --
> Bruce Tsai
> wagamama.tsai at gmail.com
>

> On May 16, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Subodh <subodh.austin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for guidance Sebastian.
> I have attached a sample code I had written following source of Qtdemux,
> but
> while testing the caps negotiation with typefind element failed.
> I was unable to isolate issue with debug logs, hence posted on list hoping
> someone could just browse through my code and highlight any obvious issues.
>
> As suggested, will continue referring to existing plugins.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Subodh
>

> --