Making the "start time" of a source available to gstreamer

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Dec 17 05:03:38 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 03:11 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:

Hi,

> I have a need to know the “start time” of a stream, which in the case
> of a file would be the creation time of the file, and in the case of
> a live stream would be the time the stream was started.
>
> Does gstreamer have any mechanism like this (combing the source
> suggests no), and if not how would you suggest I implement it?
>
> Would placing a well defined message on a bus with the “start time”
> do the trick? Would it be true to say that any frame time can be
> calculated by adding the PTS to this start time?

You could check if there's a way to add a "creation time" or such to
the headers for the container format of your choice. Most containers
will have something like that. I guess that would cover it, although it
might not tag the start date of an already-started live stream which
you connected to later.

Cheers
 -Tim