Making the "start time" of a source available to gstreamer

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Dec 17 05:10:27 PST 2015

On 17 Dec 2015, at 3:03 PM, Tim Müller <tim at centricular.com> wrote:

> You could check if there's a way to add a "creation time" or such to
> the headers for the container format of your choice. Most containers
> will have something like that. I guess that would cover it, although it
> might not tag the start date of an already-started live stream which
> you connected to later.

What you’re describing is the easy part - obtaining the start time is relatively straightforward (it would depend on the source), and putting the time in the container is also easy (depends on the sink), the trick is wiring the two together in the “right” way.

Do I attach this start time to each buffer as metadata, or should I place a message on a bus?

Regards,
Graham
—