Making the "start time" of a source available to gstreamer

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Dec 17 05:34:50 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 15:10 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:

Hi,

> What you’re describing is the easy part - obtaining the start time is
> relatively straightforward (it would depend on the source), and
> putting the time in the container is also easy (depends on the sink),
> the trick is wiring the two together in the “right” way.

I guess I don't understand yet from your description what else is
required.

> Do I attach this start time to each buffer as metadata, or should I
> place a message on a bus?

I think it would be best to first look at what is required exactly and
why just writing the current time in the file header is not sufficient.
Then we can work backwards from there to see how to best implement it.

Posting a message on the bus is unlikely to be useful, since messages
are usually just for applications and not picked up by other elements
(with the exception of higher-level bin/pipeline abstractions perhaps).

Cheers
 -Tim