Query on Gstreamer framework

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Sat Jan 10 11:05:22 PST 2015

On 01/10/2015 07:22 PM, Ratheendran R wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I am new to gstreamer frame work, so excuse me if I am putting any
> basic question in the forum.
>

> I have some technical/license side query on gstreamer framework.
>

> 1. We are planing to use Gstreamer ported by freescale on imx6, so my
> question is can we use gstreamer on the production system. Any legal
> obligations?

GStreamer is LGPL and many plugins are as well. An exception are e.g.
plugins of the gst-plugins-ugly module. For legal advice better contact
a lawyer though!

> 2. How many pipeline is possible from a single gstreamer source
> element. I want a single source to sink the video sceen as well as the
> write to a circullar buffer.

You can use the tee element to create branches in the graph. E.g.
camerabin is a high level element that uses one camera source and e.g.
shows the video on screen and records it at the same time.

> 3. We want to store the encoded video in a circular buffer based on
> time stamp and latter would like to retrive the samples of frames
> based on the time stamp, I would like to parse the same video stroed
> in the circular buffer and create a new video file based on sampled
> frames.

I am not following. A queue element could keep a backlog of frames, but
would *not* offer convenient random access.

> -I would like to know does the existing gstreamer pipeline make all
> the things possible.
>
> -Do any one know of the existing application to which I can take a
> look and start my activity.

Each git module has a tests/examples directory.
Stefan