alsa modules are noisy and silent after several minutes of use

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Sat Jan 17 13:13:49 PST 2015

On 17 Jan 2015, at 18:39, Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com> wrote:

> Le 2015-01-17 09:22, buda servantes a écrit :
>> It's work nicely but after a few minutes, I get noise (the sound is
>> completely distorted) and becomes silent.
> It looks like a clock drift, and handling of it not working. I think I have met similar issues, but was not sure what I was seeing. My observation is that pulse audio mitigate the drift, so the bug might have been unseen by others not using alsasink. If you manage to test on latest GStreamer from git and could reproduce it, could you file a bug please ?

It's possible I've been seeing this as well - audio was generally ok, but the pipeline would sometimes suffer audio glitches / dropouts when it was started.

I also noticed that the logging reported was different with different sinks:

1) There were no obviously-related messages when using alsasink;
2) There were clock-related messages reported when using pulsesink.

The messages reported when using pulsesink allowed me to focus on areas of the pipeline I could improve to make it better able to handle clock drift.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com