[Gstreamer-openmax] Tunneling in gst-openmax

Rob Clark rob at ti.com
Thu Mar 25 09:37:03 PDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 5:15 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Sidharth R <svarier at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> As per the following link :
>> http://github.com/felipec/gst-openmax
>>
>> there has not been any updation on the source code associated with tunneling after 27th April 2009. Is the tunneling branch merged with the master branch of gst-openmax? Is tunneling fully functional in gst-openmax?
>>
>> Kindly reply to the above queries regarding tunneling.
>
> There has been some progress regarding tunneling, however, it was
> found that GStreamer's base classes are not going to work for this
> feature. More work will be needed before this feature lands in master.
> My personal opinion is that we should stop trying to use GStreamer's
> base classes and implement the sources/sinks from scratch that fit
> omx. However, I do not have time to play with this idea right now.

note that not using GStreamer's base classes for src/sink elements also means not using GStreamer's A/V sync, etc.

On the other hand, it seems that khronos is on the verge of approving a change to allow "non-pre-announced" buffers (essentially officially allowing IL client to do pBuffer pointer copies instead of memcpy's) which in most cases is just as good as tunneling without all the drawbacks.

So IMO, most use-cases where you think tunneling is a good idea, it is probably not.

(That said, transcoding and some other edge cases like that, perhaps tunneling could be a good idea..  but then you don't need to replace GStreamer base classes for that.)

Just my $0.02 :-)

BR,
-R