callout on property change

Robert Love rml at ximian.com
Tue Apr 20 10:28:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:11 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:

> These all seem fine to me.  I don't think property add/remove is too
> interesting either.  Presumably if someone needs to act on it, they
> could do it when the device or a capability is added.

Great.  Agreed.

> This should be fixed before checking it in, though. ;)

Oh, definitely - just soliciting opinions here. ;)

> There's already hal_property_get_as_string() (although _to_string()
> is a better name, for sure).  So you can just use that if you're
> dealing with HalPropertys.  Otherwise, you can just write
> hal_device_property_to_string() (or whatever) which just gets the
> HalProperty and calls hal_property_to_string() on it.  The other
> hal_device_property functions do that, so you can just use one of those
> as a template.

I will do exactly this and send a patch.

> I think they were mostly my natural worry reflex kicking in.  I'm glad
> to see it's not really an issue either way.

Well, it was a fair concern.  Certain actions may still result in a
large number of property modifications, but we do not routine see them.

I will do a hal_device_property_to_string() patch and then resend this
one with the modification.

David, your thoughts?

	Robert Love