FDI Specification Update?

Eric Butler eric at extremeboredom.net
Sat Jul 24 20:42:43 PDT 2004

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, been busy with alot of other stuff.

One of the things I've been thinking about is what does the user want to
see when a device is connected. So far, I'm basically thinking of three
main different notification types:

- Internal/Ignored devices: This is basically any device that provides
no direct functionality to the user, like an IDE controller
- Hotplugged devices that do not require user intervention to function:
This would be something that is plugged in after the computer is booted
(like a mouse or keyboard) that does not require any configuration to
function, but the user would still like to see that it was detected
(http://extremeboredom.net/images/screenshots/hotwire/nonuser.png).
- Other hotpluged devices: This would be anything else, such as a
webcam, where the device serves no purpose until an application is
launched.
(http://extremeboredom.net/images/screenshots/hotwire/newdevice.png)//

This does not have to nessisarally be auto-detected, there's no problem
if it's specified in the FDI file and then an "unknown" dialog could be
displayed for other devices (URL), but I think it might be important
enough to include in the spec (perhaps an entry in info.capabilities?).

There should be a standard way to mark a device as unsupported by the OS
(info.capabilities = "linux_unsupported" or something like that).

Also, I would like to suggest that FDI files include the device name and
vendor along with author to make it possible to present a pretty list of
"supported" devices to the user.

Oh, do we have a planned method to store+retrieve icons for specific
device types (that perhaps integrates with the nautilus/gnome-vfs work
that has been going on)?

That's all I can think of right now, I look forward to hearing
everyone's comments on all this.

 - Eric