hal and disc type

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu May 6 13:49:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 11:32:08AM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just committed a change yesterday with a number of changes to properties
> related to handling of storage devices - mostly cleanups and sane renaming
> of property keys.
>
> I did add some code (snitched from dvd+rw-tools, GPL stuff) to test for
> dvd discs and report back the correct type; this was done using some of
> the code Bastien added so I've copied him as well :-)
>
> So now volume.disc_type (this used to be called storage.cdrom.media_type)
> can assume the following values:
>
>  - audio
>  - mixed
>  - data
>  - blank
>  - unknown
>  - dvd_rom
>  - dvd_r
>  - dvd_ram
>  - dvd_rw_restricted_overwrite
>  - dvd_rw
>  - dvd_plus_rw
>  - dvd_plus_r
>
> Note that this corresponds to the type of the *disc* not the type of the
> drive (for optical drives storage.drive_type==cdrom and the booleans
> storage.cdrom.[cdr, cdrw, ..] are set accordingly).
>
> As I don't have any DVD writers nor media I'm not able to set this, so if
> anyone has the opportunity to provide some feedback it would be great.
> (in fact I'm not even sure what the dvd_rw_restricted_overwrite means, as
> I said I just snitched the code from dvd+rw-tools..)

I've made some screenshots with my DVD burner:
	dvd-rw/dvd-ram drive
	dvd-rw new
	dvd-rw closed
	dvd-r new

these are so damn big and I'm too lazy to resize it, so I've put it on
the webserver:
  http://vrfy.org/projects/hal/

Is there any other way to dump all attributes of a device, or do I need
to ask for every key with hal-get-property?

Kay