[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Nick Penwarden penwan at rpi.edu
Wed May 26 14:18:33 PDT 2004

Pat Suwalski wrote:

> Nick Penwarden wrote:
>
>> However (unless this has been thoroughly discussed before) perhaps
>> the scope of HAL should be more clearly defined. If we allow the
>> ESSID of a wireless card to be set through HAL, do we also allow the
>> IP address of an ethernet card to be set through HAL (maybe it
>> already does this, I honestly don't know)?  What other settings?
>

> In my opinion, if nothing else, HAL should make an exception for
> things like ESSID and WEP key and WPA (when it becomes more
> available). This is because, let's face it, there is no command line
> utility that can do profiles, and switching keys is very difficult.
>
> Even "cardctl scheme foo" requires other things to be restarted. A
> simple userland way for these things to be set would be a godsend.
> DHCP already covers 90% of desktop users today anyway. Do you change
> your IP manually often?

I agree with you that HAL should allow the changing of ESSID, WEP key,
WPA, etc. through it. The IP address was just an example, though I
believe HAL should also cover that.  Mainly, I think it would be useful
to know if HAL is intended to change all such settings (wireless
configuration, IP addresses, power management settings, so on and so
forth), if it is only meant to display device information, or if it
should only have facilities for changing certain settings such as WiFi
and power management.

-Nick