[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed May 26 14:26:32 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 17:18 -0400, Nick Penwarden wrote:
> I agree with you that HAL should allow the changing of ESSID, WEP key,
> WPA, etc. through it. The IP address was just an example, though I
> believe HAL should also cover that.  Mainly, I think it would be useful
> to know if HAL is intended to change all such settings (wireless
> configuration, IP addresses, power management settings, so on and so
> forth), if it is only meant to display device information, or if it
> should only have facilities for changing certain settings such as WiFi
> and power management.

I feel like HAL should be able to deal with all of those settings.  A
large part of the idea is to insulate the programmer from having to deal
with a lot of these things, although for low-level device access they
can't avoid it.

Some things like IP address are somewhat dangerous, though, because they
begin to step on the toes of existing configuration tools and outside
things like DHCP client daemons.

Joe