[patch] wireless patch, take 2

Robert Love rml at ximian.com
Thu May 27 12:43:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 21:36 +0200, Ikke wrote:

> Forgive me my ignorance, but what to do with something like this then, in
> case of a cdrom reader:
> a key called volume.ejected (bool), false if in not-ejected state, true
> otherwise.
> Then you could set it to true if its false, and HAL should let the device
> eject.

Well, not all options would have corresponding side effects.  Some
would, other would not.  This would be spelled out in the spec.

So writing true to volume.ejected would either eject the device or (more
sensibly) do nothing.  The spec would make it clear.

> Same thing for net: the IP can be 'set'-ted, altough this could conflict
> with DHCP, mDNS,...

We do not show the IP assigned a device in HAL currently, and I don't
think that ought to change.

Much love,

	Robert Love