Feature requests for hal battery backend.

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 08:37:30 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 23:23 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> Le dimanche 31 juillet 2005 à 22:12 -0400, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> > The larger design and thoughts about this are fine I think. Just to be
> > clear, we want to standardize on mWh right? What about patches for APM
> > and PMU (I can test the PMU bits on my Powerbook)? =)
>
> No.  I'm not sure that it's possible to standaise on mWh.  APM only
> gives you a reading in percent, for example, with no way to find out how
> much power is actually there.

Like CSR only gives you a scale from 1-7, there's no way to work out
mWh...

> The goal is to standardise on some unit that means the same thing across
> all batteries in the laptop.  Since you either have "an ACPI machine" or
> "an APM machine" or "a PMU machine", however, each different type of
> machine can have a different standard unit.

Yes, agree. The mAh unit is pretty crap as a unit of charge as it
depends on the current voltage of the cell, which really upsets the
time_remaining calculations (in and out of HAL) without lots of special
casing.

The PMU backend needs some love I think, anybody expert in PMU?

> If there is, however, some way to get mWh information out of APM that
> would be even cooler. :)

I think APM is pretty thick. ;-)

Richard.