receive udev messages directly from socket instead of the hal.hotplug helper

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Aug 1 10:51:06 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 08:08 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> The next udev version will able to send the udev events directly to a
> socket without the need for a forked hal-helper:
>   http://ehlo.org/~kay/?p=linux/hotplug/udev-kay.git;a=commit;h=d455b0085d65cd25915a34d84f894a4950d313a2
>
> This udev rule:
>   RUN="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
>
> instead of the current:
>   RUN+="/usr/sbin/hal.hotplug"
>
> will make udevstart (which is a single process, that completely serializes all events)
> to take only 0.4 seconds instead of 0.8 seconds on my box.

Sweet. Looks OK to commit but before doing so I think we should work out
what is missing. I think we want to install a rules file with the
RUN="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event" right?

Btw, I think we need to be able to support older udev versions for a
while (say, 3-4 months; we already require udev 057) so there should
probably be a configuration switch so we do the right thing, e.g.
install a rules file if using this new stuff and the hal.hotplug program
otherwise.

Thanks,
David