fstab-sync feature request

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Feb 1 07:18:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 11:50 +0200, Sabin Iacob wrote:
> Hi, list!
> I wrote an app that updates a rox panel when fstab-sync creates a
> mount moint,

Cool.

>  and I had to write a replacement for fstab-sync, because
> the one I got with hal didn't do much (actually, it didn't do
> anything), and the people from rox said that would be a problem in
> shared rox - gnome systems, as each one needs a different fstab
> updating thing. I agree with them, and hence I have 2 wishes about
> fstab-sync:
>
> 1. to actually work

Uhm, but it does work. We're shipping it in FC3 and people are
happy about it.

AFAIK, Rox is just another desktop like GNOME and KDE. Now, I don't
think it makes sense for desktop projects to ship stuff that touch
the system, hence why there is *this* project - to give a list of
devices with all sort of details required by modern desktops to
handle hardware nicely.

> 2. to emit a signal on dbus when it does something

But hal does emit a signal when a new volume or storage device
is added to the device list. Also note that some distributions,
like Ubuntu, just uses this signal to use a setuid mount wrapper
thereby not needing to update the /etc/fstab at all (Google
for pmount).

See the spec here linked from here

 http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal

for details.