fstab-sync feature request

Sabin Iacob iacobs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:50:43 PST 2005

Hi, list!
I wrote an app that updates a rox panel when fstab-sync creates a
mount moint, and I had to write a replacement for fstab-sync, because
the one I got with hal didn't do much (actually, it didn't do
anything), and the people from rox said that would be a problem in
shared rox - gnome systems, as each one needs a different fstab
updating thing. I agree with them, and hence I have 2 wishes about
fstab-sync:

1. to actually work
2. to emit a signal on dbus when it does something

Do you think it's possible? I tried to add the functionality to
fstab-sync myself, but I got kind of lost :)
My replacement is written in python
(http://exotic4.nipne.ro/~iacobs/devwatch/fstab-sync.py), and
currently relies on a remote object to emit the signal (when the app
starts, it also registers a service on the system bus, and fstab-sync
uses it to emit the signal). It would be nice if there was a similar
object provided by the org.freedesktop.Hal service. Also, right now it
doesn't have all the functionality it should provide, but that's not
hard to add (it lacks cleaning and verbose operation, as I didn't need
them).

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality.