acpi updates

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Feb 1 11:47:20 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 19:37 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> ac_adapter ADP1 00000080 00000000
>  means ac_adaptor 1 just disconnected
>
> processor CPU0 00000080 00000000
>  means I *may have* changed my throttling
>
> ac_adapter ADP1 00000080 00000001
>  means ac_adaptor 1 just connected
>
> battery BAT1 00000080 00000001
>  means battery value *may have* changed
>
> the UDI can be easily created "../battery_BAT1", and just that object
> changed.. no?

Right, although I think I currently just call them

 /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/acpi_BAT0 etc.

> > No, that code uses the internal hald API to avoid the IPC
> > roundtrips. Addons/probers right now talk to hald through
> > the system bus [1], but I'm going to make hald listen on a
> > private socket as well (I'm already doing that for the
> > regression tests I've just added) to reduce this to one
> > IPC roundtrip, e.g. hald-probe-input/hald-acpi-addon <->
> > hald.
>
> Okay, sure. One addon for power management, or one addon for acpi, one for
> pmu, etc..?

The acpi-addon should be launched for every device object
but should check that no other copies of itself is running.
There are several ways to achieve this, e.g. taking a lock
on something and so on. Not sure. I'll look at it tonight.

> Thinking aloud, would a HAL wiki be a good idea?

There is indeed a Wiki, see

 http://freedesktop.org/Software/hal

but my own experiences tells me it's nicer to have things
on the mailing list when it comes to this kind of project.
Maybe that's just me, though :-)

Cheers,
David