[patch] pmu patch

Pozsar Balazs pozsy at uhulinux.hu
Thu Feb 3 08:12:07 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:17:51AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 14:27 +0100, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> > I think it would better to let hal compute remaining time. If it doesn't
> > do so, then every applet out there has to implement the same thing. I
> > think it would be nicer to only have it implemented in ONE place, and in
> > this case, it is hal.
> >

> What if someone comes up with a much nicer algorithm for computing
> remaining time?

Then hal should be updated, it's that easy...

> What if the algorithm requires storing stuff
> on disk in a persistent manner?

Would be interesting.

> No, I don't see *any* need to let
> hal do that work - that's just a violation of the layering.

I really dont think it would violate layering in any way.

> If you want it in a single place go write libhal-powermgmt; I don't
> mind storing that in CVS next to libhal-storage (where libhal-storage
> somewhat serves the purpose for drives and volumes.). There's no point
> in putting unnecessary code in a system-level daemon like hald.

I'll think about it.

> My point was really this: what is the use of relaying temperate and
> fan rpm information? What policy agent is going to use it? Why is it
> useful?

What is the use of relaying information like if there's a disc in a
cdrom drive?
There could be a million tiny programs using info like this. Maybe just
an applet. Maybe a gdesklet. Maybe a daemon which will shutdown the
system on fan failure.

--
pozsy