[patch] pmu patch

Richard Hughes ee21rh at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 08:39:38 PST 2005

David Zeuthen <david <at> fubar.dk> writes:
> on disk in a persistent manner? No, I don't see *any* need to let
> hal do that work - that's just a violation of the layering.

I've got to agree with David here...

> If you want it in a single place go write libhal-powermgmt; I don't
> mind storing that in CVS next to libhal-storage (where libhal-storage
> somewhat serves the purpose for drives and volumes.). There's no point
> in putting unnecessary code in a system-level daemon like hald.

Pozsar, have you looked at http://live.gnome.org/PowerManager? Although I like
the sound of libhal-powermgmt, need further argument....

> My point was really this: what is the use of relaying temperate and
> fan rpm information? What policy agent is going to use it? Why is it
> useful?

For the temperature and fan speed monitoring daemons in the world... For
instance, when my temperature is high my fan goes on. That something that I
think should be outside of hal and in kernel space. But, when I remove my power
lead I think my system should throttle to a configured value, and my LCD should
dim to a configured point. I think thats a userspace thing. Comments?

Richard.