Creative MP3+

Paul Ionescu i_p_a_u_l at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 05:13:10 PST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:21:39 +0100, Ikke wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:23 +0100, Pozsár Balázs wrote:

>> > Discover sound devices so one can generate a list of possible output
>> > devices wor a gstreamer-based media player, or GST itself querying HAL
>> > what soundcards are available, etc?
>>
>> Isn't that functionality already available in alsa-lib?
> I don't know Alsa, but I guess it is. HAL is some standardised hardware
> repository of the system though, so I think its "logical" to get a list of
> soundcards out of HAL, just like you could get a list of NICs, USB Storage
> devices,...

Even if alsa will tell you the devices available at one moment, it will
not tell you that a new sound card has been just plugged in, and you can
use it.
So, I have a sound application running (which listens to dbus), and I
later plugged in an USB soundcard, and I want that my application to be
notified that a new soundcard is available for playing.
I don't think alsa can do that, or if it it's scope to do that.

Thanks,
Paul