Creative MP3+

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Feb 9 05:17:23 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 12:23 +0100, Pozsár Balázs wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:22:05PM +0100, Ikke wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, we should support the ALSA devices in hal (though I'm not sure how
> > > much value it adds, managing sound is much more difficult than just
> > > discovering ALSA devices).
> > Discover sound devices so one can generate a list of possible output
> > devices wor a gstreamer-based media player, or GST itself querying HAL
> > what soundcards are available, etc?
>
> Isn't that functionality already available in alsa-lib?

We need to be able to subscribe to events if sound cards are appearing
or disappearing on the system. This information is only available as
hotplug events, if you don't want to poll for it.
So at least minimal support with classification that the actual hardware
is a sound card is needed in HAL.

But for nice application support we will need something that can present
virtual audio devices e.g. network-audio or the alsa-lib created virtual
ones too, so that an audio player can present a nice selection list of
_all_ available devices and not only the real hardware. Something like a
MultimediaManager.

Thanks,
Kay