Creative MP3+

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Feb 9 11:24:07 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 17:59 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Right, for Fedora we're also thinking of using such events (via
> > callouts) to enforce policy, using pam_console, instead of the
> > dreadful /etc/security/console.perms file that relies on the name of the
> > device node. Much like the policy properties we have for determining
> > whether something should be added to the /etc/fstab file etc.
>
> This sounds fantastic. Bringing Linux into the modern age!

Not really sure HAL will help much here; Fedora already got it sort of
sorted out wrt. permissions etc.; we just want to change it to allow a
bit more flexibility than what /etc/security/console.perms in Fedora
offers; e.g. always allow user XYZ to access the sound card regardless
if he is logged into the console. Things like that.

It's probably off-topic to discuss that here, btw :-)

> Are you pending a CVS commit for soundcards or do you want us to submit
> patches?

No, I'm not really working on that; patches are welcome though :-)

> On that note, could you just mail the updated ChangeLog to this list,
> whenever you do a big commit, then we can see what you've committed
> without doing a:
> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/hal co hal
> type thing? Or am I missing a cunning trick?

I think you just want subscribe to hal-commit at fd.o

or use viewcvs

 http://cvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal/
 http://cvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/hal/hal/ChangeLog